The SaaS Podcast
How to Build a $5 Million Software Business from a Spreadsheet File – with Jesse Mecham 
How to Build a $5 Million Software Business from a Spreadsheet File
Jesse is the founder of “You Need a Budget”, a software product that helps you with your personal budgeting. Jesse is a former Certified Public Accountant (CPA) turned software entrepreneur. He founded YNAB in 2004 and has successfully grown it into a multi-million dollar business with tens of thousands of users from all over the world.
Key Talking Points
- How Jesse started this business by selling an Excel spreadsheet that he'd initially created for himself and his wife.
- How the Excel spreadsheet wasn't selling until Jesse started charging MORE money for it.
- Why content creation and education is the top priority for YNAB and why software plays ‘second fiddle'.
- The key essential lessons that Jesse learned about copywriting and landing pages which helped to double his sales.
- How Jesse's goal with his business was to simply generate $350 per month to cover his rent.
- How Jesse grew YNAB from it's modest beginnings into a business that he could work on full-time.
- Why Jesse scrapped software that he'd spent over $60,000 on and rebuilt it from scratch.
- Why Jesse kept working in full-time job when his business was generating about double his salary.
- “The single-minded ones, the monomaniacs, are the only true achievers. The rest, the ones like me, may have more fun; but they fritter themselves away…. Whenever anything is being accomplished, it is being done, I have learned, by a monomaniac with a mission.” – Peter Drucker
- “The Millionaire Next Door” by Thomas J. Stanley