How Wistia Turned Video Hosting Into a Profitable SaaS Business
Chris Savage is the co-founder and CEO of Wistia, an internet video hosting and analytics company that enables marketers to track and analyze web video viewers. Chris and his co-founder Brendan founded Wistia in 2006. In 2009 they were finalists in BusinessWeek’s 25 Most Promising US entrepreneurs under the age of 25. Today, over 100,000 companies use Wistia for their video hosting and analytics.
Key Talking Points
- How the original business idea for Wistia was completely different from the business that it is today.
- Why the two co-founders moved into a 10-person house for a couple of years when they launched their business.
- How Wistia was able to position itself and charge customers for hosting video in a market dominated by Google/YouTube.
- How it took one year for Wistia to get their first customer and what kept Chris and Brendan going.
- How Wistia kept growing despite the fact that people couldn't even signup on the Wistia website for years.
- “If you make the work interesting enough and the culture strong enough, you can get to things you'd never expect” – Chris Savage
- “Masters of Doom” by David Kushner