The SaaS Podcast
How an Online Marketer Built a 6-Figure Software Business – with Spencer Haws 
How an Online Marketer Built a 6-Figure Software Business
Spencer Haws is the founder of Longtail Pro, a keyword research software. Long Tail Pro allows you to generate hundreds or thousands of “long tail” keywords in minutes. Spencer launched Long Tail Pro in 2011 and successfully grew it into a 6-figure software business.
Key Talking Points
- Why a keyword research tool is still essential for businesses whether they're ‘doing' SEO or not.
- How Spencer started building ‘niche sites' and used affiliate marketing to quit his full-time job.
- Where the idea for Long Tail Pro came from and how a competitor helped him validate the opportunity.
- How the first version of the product broke after 2 weeks and needed to be rebuilt from scratch.
- How Spencer rebuilt credibility after his first failed product to regain the confidence of customers.
- Some key lessons for other software entrepreneurs on how to be market your product smartly.
- “Make hay while the sun shines” from a conversation with Spencer's father
- “How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie